Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
oss
Site Admin

CAPTCHA on website

Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:23 am

Hi all,

merry XMAS and happy new year for everybody! We didn't sleep, but worked hard to somehow protect the content of website. There are couple of dozens other websites, which are trying to copy our content to their website. Well, if they contacted us before, maybe we might make some deal, but, without questions...we got answers anyway. It is not acceptable if some users upload subtitles here and within few seconds it appears on other subtitle sites (without questioning).

For downloading subtitles, there might be some CAPTCHA, so user have to fill in the numbers/text and then he can proceed with download.

FAQ:
Q: Why do you introduce CAPTCHA on your website?
A: Because there are dozens other websites which are copying subtitles

Q: All users are affected ?
A: Nope, not at all. There are just couple of thousands IPs affected, usually known proxies, TOR, spammers, harvesters and so on.

Q: How I can avoid filling out CAPTCHA?
A: Registering helps, but definitive answer is VIP membership.

Q: I want download bulk subtitles from your site, what I should do?
A: Don't be shy and contact us!

If you experience some problems with CAPTCHA system, let us know! There might be some apps broken, we are working hard to fix it.

chub

Re: CAPTCHA on website

Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:25 pm

It look like the new captcha system broke the compatibility with subtitle download programs (SubDownloader for instance).

davidcim

subdownloader not working

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:39 am

Hi there.

I'm an Ubuntu user who uses frequently subDownloader. Unfortunately it's not working now. The program logs in and search subtitles properly but when I try to download it I get an error like this: "Unable to download subtitle name-of-subtitle.srt". A new file with the name of the subtitle plus the suffix ".gz" appears in the video folder. However this file is not a gz file because it contains an html page requesting a captcha. The upload function works properly by the way.

I've also installed the latest version from subdownloader.net (2.0.18) but I get the same error.

I'm reporting this just in case this is a bug that can be fixed. Thanks

oss
Site Admin

Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:42 am

I am in contact with SubDownloader developer. Now I also change something on the page, so try this (for any program using XML-RPC):
- try if it is working now (it should)
- if still not working, try to log in into application, that should help too.

Please let us know, if problem is solved.

cotangent

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Right now, I am experiencing the same thing with SubDownloader 2.0.18 as reported by davidcim. I am logged in in SubDownloader.

SMPlayer 0.8.3 returns: "Download failed: Moved Permanently." with nothing downloaded.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:51 pm

It is quite strange. We are working on solution for SubDownloader, I will keep you posted. For SMPlayer, I will contact the developers too.

oss
Site Admin

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:22 pm

OK, got answer from SubDownloader developer. The problem was, the download URL for subtitles was hardcoded and not taken from XML-RPC response, so clearly problem in SubDownloader side. Author will release new corrected version within 1 week as I have been told.

SmallBrother
Site Admin

Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:57 pm

If you experience some problems with CAPTCHA system, let us know!
Have you seen this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14562
Nowadays a VPN is a must for everyone. A VPN allows you safe surfing and protects you against spying governments and companies.
I advise AirVPN - from € 2,75 per month. Click the below banner for more info.

Zwaf

Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Hello,

Ever since a few days, none of our media players is able to download any subtitles. They use opensubtitles.org as a source and after researching, I found out a captcha is now provided prior to the download.
This probably means that the scripts that were designed to download from opensubtitles are now broken. I am not sure whether this is intended by you but I can assure it has a lot of bad implications.

The popular BoxeeBox downloads all its subtitles from opensubtitles and there is also no way to configure it. Furthermore, the product is not receiving any more updates from the development team so it would mean that subtitle support on the BoxeeBox is now officially broken ?
From their website:

"Unfortunately you can't add sources for subtitles from internet. BoxeeBox uses opensubtitles.org as subtitle search engine and provide you with available subtitles from this website."

[EDIT] (SimplyTheBOSS)
http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t ... post252923

oss
Site Admin

Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi,

I am using boxee box myself, so I will look on it. The thing is, how is CAPTCHA made now, it should work for any API, if properly implemented. If some program is using hardcoded links, and not the links we provide in XML-RPC response, then it can be problem.

Zwaf

Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi Oss,

Thanks for your swift reply and addressing of the problem, I'll wait until you have more information

oss
Site Admin

Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:44 am

I made some improvements, so now CAPTCHA checking should be much more benevolent than before. Please let me know, if it is better.

nipoul

Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Very Good oss! After your latest changes, I managed succesfully download a subtitle using Subdownload 2.0.13. Two thumbs up!

cotangent

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 pm

For the record, it works perfectly now for me too. Thanks, oss :)

oss
Site Admin

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Good to hear that :) Enjoy.

Return to “General talk”