Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed. Do not post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate others security. Profanity or any kind of insolent behavior to other members (regardless of rank) will not be tolerated. Remember, what you don’t find offensive can be offensive to other members. Please treat each other with the kind of reverence you’d expect from other members.
Failure to comply with any of the above will result in users being banned without notice. If any further details are needed, contact: “The team” using the link at the bottom of the forum page. Thank you.
darkreef2

I came to talk about advertisement.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:38 pm

I saw your "Advertise your product or brand here contact http://www.OpenSubtitles.org today" and I am interested in it.

I would like to put an advertisement about the subreddit called /r/dogecoin. If you dont know what dogecoin is, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogecoin

I'm going to pay in dogecoin for the advertisement up to 30k dogecoins (10 USD), but we can talk values if the ad is more persistent.

Thank you for your time.

DBR.

oss
Site Admin

Re: I came to talk about advertisement.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:20 pm

hi,

you can contact me directly via PM, or using email.

k0z

advertising in subtitles

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:36 am

i come to say that put advertising in subtitles is a lamer attitude and try to get a profit of that its a mediocre behavior like this group its recently doing.

jurrabi

Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:21 pm

So sad indeed...
Forum rules
Under no circumstances is spamming or advertising of any kind allowed.
I guess Forum rules don't apply to subtitles files... :(

I guess maintaining a site like this is not easy or cheap... But what can I say, I'd rather see OpenSubtitles disappear before watching it pervert the service like that by putting ads on subtitles...

I have contributed files here. Anybody that has done subtitles for a film or tv show knows how much work it is... That's a lot of my free time that I give to the community. It's my contribution for all the hours of others I have enjoyed.

But there is always someone that thinks it is ok to try and make a buck out of it...

So sad.

oss
Site Admin

Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:50 am

you dont have ads when you download subs from website, just from API. API is free. From API we got 4-5 times more users than from WEB.

hector

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:43 am

Yes, when you use the web you have A LOT OF BANNERS AND ADS but subs are clean. I never use API. It's the price you have to pay for the speed and simplicity.

I think it is O.K. This is how almost everything works currently. You get FREE services because somebody else (the advertisers) is paying for you.

I don't mind to have some ads in the web site. That's all right. The problem is that it might become unusable. I don't know why but my browser hangs one of five times I visit the site and I think ads have much to do with this.

jesica1

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Yes.. I think its ok to put ads on forum, but have to keep in mind that should not annoying forum users by giving ad link on the file we are going to download or something that can be a reason for bad user experience.

hector

Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:13 am

The problem is that it might become unusable.
And it has indeed. Since a couple of days the ads appear OVER the subtitle list (in the Z axis) on the web site.

oss
Site Admin

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:23 pm

hector, please send me screenshots and more info. Somebody already told me about this, but I can not simulate it. I think it is connected with some ad blocker (so if you use vanilla IE, or Firefox it will not happen).

We dont want ads going over content or something, it is just bug (we usually dont know about - without reporting from users).

hector

Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:05 pm

It's OK now. Thanks

oss
Site Admin

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:38 pm

thanks, I urge advertiser company about that. If it happens again, let me know

Return to “General talk”